Welcome to the Health and Media blog site - we welcome your comments and/or articles on health issues.


June 14, 2007

Listserv members "secret handshake" [member email]

Sachia Ngutsav, from Radio Benue, in Nigeria, wrote in to ask if I could supply him with all the names and email addresses of all our 375 health and media listserv members.

After responding to say that I can not give out this information, he then replied,

"Why is there so much secrecy surrounding some of the participants at a forum such as this?"

So, after giving the subject more consideration I wrote:

Sachia,

I am glad you asked this question. Firstly, for obvious reasons, I will not be adding emails to the list I send out to members. This privacy is standard practice for group email lists.

However, not including names and job titles on the list may be taking things too far as there may be someone with whom you would like to contact; whereas, I can forward your email to him/her - giving the receiver the choice respond to your email directly.

What I would like to do is put this to our listserv members in our next update. Anyone who would like me to leave these details off the list can let me know.

So, fear not, we till try to steer clear of "secret handshakes", or bizarre initiation rituals involving dark cloaks, hot coals and large hats.

Thank you for your concern.

Colin Lloyd
Health and Media listserv moderator/editor

0 click here to comment: